What are anti wrinkle injections?
Wrinkles are created as a result of making certain facial movements like smiling, frowning or even laughing. Over time our skin loses some elasticity and plumpness so these lines are generally thought of as part of the ageing process. Sun damage, smoking and certain medications can also contribute to their formation.
Injections to relax the muscles that cause these wrinkles can help to create a younger appearance, and smoother skin. Generally they will only work on the wrinkles that appear when you move your facial muscles. Anti wrinkle injections contain a purified protein called Botulinim Toxin which has been FDA approved for both both medical and cosmetic reasons. Sometimes referred to as just “Botox” the injections are generally considered safe having been used for more than 20 years.
What areas can be treated with anti wrinkle injections?
At Craigentinny we are able to treat
- Forehead lines – running cross the forehead
- Crows Feet / laughter lines – around the corners of the eyes
- Glabellar lines- sometimes referred to as No. 11’s between the eyes
About treatment with anti wrinkle injections
We start with a consultation to discuss your aims, options and suitability. If you choose to proceed the treatment session its self is relatively swift and involves a series of very small injections with ultra-fine needles. Results last at least 3-4 months for most patients and in some cases longer. ( NB results do vary and we cannot predict this in advance). In most cases it takes around 5 -7 days for the full effect of treatment to be seen. We follow up with every patient after 2 weeks to review treatment and results. Patients who have had “Botox” in the past have told us that their results often varied so to help with this our team record carefully each injection site to make reproducing your results more predictable. You don’t have to have the stereotypical “frozen look” as there is often scope to soften lines rather than eliminate them entirely.
After treatment with Anti Wrinkle Injections
- You are able to go back to work immediately, but be aware there may be a few small areas of redness or bruising at the site of the injections.
- Do not massage or manipulate the area that has been treated as this may spread the botox where we do not want it
- Avoid activities that involve straining or heavy lifting for 6 hours
- Avoid alcohol that day
Things to be aware of
- a headache around the treated area is not uncommon if you have not had anti wrinkle injections before
- results do vary from person to person
- risks include bruising, drooping of the brows and infection